Friday, December 17, 2010

Hi from Argentina

http://www.buildyourownwindturbine.com/index.php/news/159-hi-from-argentina


E-mail Print PDF
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
We got this email from Esteban from Argentina who did the workshop with us in September. 
It’s been a while since I left your cozy home! A lot has been going on since then on my side, and I wanted to share it with you all…
After I left Ireland, I made a stop in France and Spain, and then I headed back home, with a great motivation/money ratio (and an even better Sue’s food / just food ratio).
I spent the first month finding materials, good prices and so on, and then I started my first turbine, which took me overall another month. I must say I made some mistakes (you could have probably seen that coming), but not big ones and the final result was acceptable. I learnt a lot from that process, so I risked a little and organized a course just like yours…
An uncle let me use his workshop, and since motivation is very high here I got my first group of 10 pretty easily, to build a turbine over 3 week-ends. We also built a very small (3.5 m) tower just for testing it in a clean area by the river. This time the final result was a lot better, and we were lucky to have a sunny day with up to 7 m/s gusts the last Sunday. Here’s some videos:

Video 1 Video 2 Video 3
Photos 1 Photos 2
The plan now is to contact NGOs to install some in rural schools, just for some lights and a few laptops. The idea is to send pre-made bits to different places where they can do it locally, with my support. It’s a lot easier here than it was in Nicaragua, because of people’s educational level and development in general.
I would love to hear your ideas or suggestions!! Of all people, you guys will give me good advice.
I really thank you very much for how you hosted me in your home. I honestly felt like I was with family, and you were truly inspirational, I hope I will manage to follow your steps and live freely and healthily…soon!
 

No comments: